Create a Reporting Services Project
To begin, we will launch Reporting Services' Report Designer, found in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.
1. Click Start.
2. Navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 shortcut in the Programs group, as appropriate.
The equivalent on my PC appears as shown in Illustration 3.
Click for larger image
Illustration 3: Beginning in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 ...
3. Select File -> New from the main menu.
4. Click Project from the cascading menu, as shown in Illustration 4.
Illustration 4: Selecting a New Project
The New Project dialog appears. Business Intelligence Projects appears in the Project Types tree, indicating an installation of Reporting Services.
5. Click Business Intelligence Projects in the Project Types tree, if necessary.
6. Click Report Project in the Templates list.
7. Type the following into the Name box, leaving other settings at default:
8. Navigate to a location in which to place the Report Project files.
The New Project dialog appears, with our additions, as shown in Illustration 5.
Illustration 5: The New Projects Dialog, with Addition
9. Click OK.
Our new project appears in the Solution Explorer (upper right corner of the Visual Studio .NET interface), as we see in Illustration 6.
Illustration 6: The New Project Appears in the Solution Explorer
Having created a Report Project, we are ready to proceed with creating the new report.