Thanks for great input and posts on the recent blog about how not to do a sales call. Since someone asked, here is how I do a sales call:
1. I pick a few companies that I want to do work for.
2. I take a look at their marketing materials and pick them apart.
3. I call the decision maker after hours and hope to get voice mail. I leave a voice mail saying that I’ve reviewed their marketing materials and have 3 specific and simple ways for them to get better response. I follow up with an email.
4. They respond, and we go back and forth.
5. Typically, they send me a marketing document in progress. I improve it.
6. They tell me about bigger marketing issues, and hire me.
You can apply the above steps to web design. Notice:
– Small list, not a big list
– Focused effort and research to help them improve their SPECIFIC situation
– Custom, tailored call
Also, those of you who have heard me speak know that I have a nasal voice and nasty Boston accent (sometimes). So I don’t come across as a slick salesperson, just a regular guy with some decent ideas. That helps!
How’s that work for you?