Receipts here, there and everywhere? Is it time to get a better handle on your receipts? As temping as it seems to toss or shred as many as you can, it is easy to find a simple solution for storing receipts. Organize your receipts to save money, return items easily, and simplify tax time.
Here are 6 simple ways to keep receipts under control!
- Use a Ziploc or small zipper case in your car for receipts. Gather them together from your purse, car and bags. Drop them in the case each time you get gas.
- Place an envelope on your kitchen desk. Keep receipts by month and write the name of the month and year on the front of the envelope.
- Have a slot in your command center in your kitchen for receipts. Drop these in daily while you are doing your paper triage.
- Have receipts in the closet? Keep a box in your dressing area for dropping in receipts.
- Use a 13 slot accordion file for keeping receipts by month. Keep your accordion file in an easy to access desk drawer.
- Set up a monthly hanging file for receipts and bank deposit slips in the front of a file drawer.
- Keep your receipts in a To Be Scanned folder or box. Fujitsu snap scan and Neat Desk are great options and easy to use.
Now that you have gathered these, how long do you keep receipts?
- Want to match up your credit card purchases with the monthly statement? Match and then destroy unneeded receipts.
- For major purchases, staple the receipt to the instruction book.
- For taxes, in the state of Texas, these can be used as a tax deduction because of sales tax. Save your receipts by month.
Got receipts? How do you organize your receipts?