Add the Sample Report to the Project
We can add our clone report file, RS015.rdl, to the project, in a series of steps that closely mirror those with which we added the data source above.
1. From within the Solution Explorer, right-click the Reports folder that appears within the new RS015 project.
2. Select Add on the context menu that appears.
3. Select Add Existing Item from the cascading menu that appears next, as shown in Illustration 11.
Illustration 11: Select Add --> Add Existing Item
The Add Existing Item - RS015 dialog appears.
4. Navigate to the location of the RS015.rdl report file created earlier.
5. Select the Report File in the dialog.
The Add Existing Item - RS015 dialog, with the targeted file, appears as depicted in Illustration 12.
Illustration 12: Add Existing Item - RS015 Dialog
6. Click Open (or double-click the selection) to close the dialog.
Report File RS015 appears in the Reports folder of the RS015 project. Let's test it for data source connectivity.
7. Right-click RS015.rdl in the Reports folder.
8. Select Open, as shown in Illustration 13, from the context menu that appears.
Illustration 13: Select Open from the Context Menu ...
Report RS015 opens and appears on the Layout tab of the Report Designer, as depicted in Illustration 14.
Illustration 14: RS015 Appears in Report Designer - Layout Tab (Partial View)
9. Click the Preview tab to execute the report.
RS015 executes briefly, and then returns data, based upon the default parameters provided atop the report. We can thus rely upon the fact that we have established connectivity with the data in the AdventureWorks2000 database. (We will not be working with drillthrough and other functions within this report sample at present. The report is only here as an example for limited use in the final section of our practice session.)