I have been working with databases and particularly with SQL Server for a few years now. My main areas of expertise are SQL Server optimisation and web-database integration. I currently work as a senior consultant/trainer for Blueleaf Technology in sunny London.
These articles come from my experiences as both a Database Administrator and Developer. I aim to cover the main areas of optimisation from server to query including along the way indexes, memory utilisation and showplan use. This is an area that can seem too complex and unapproachable for many. I hope to provide an easy route into this often difficult and incomprehensible subject.
The main areas of optimisation will be covered in a series of articles providing practical advise for applying these principles in your own environment.
I am in the middle of writing a book at the moment and so won't be updating these pages for a while :(
More news on the book when its finished...if you find these pages useful you'll love the book :)
- Principles of Performance Tuning
- Using Performance monitor as an optimisation tool
- Common performance problems and the cures
- How to get the most out of SHOWPLAN
- Using SQLTrace
- Trace Flags 101
- Query optimisation for dummies
- Index optimisation for dummies
- Links and references
Other things of interest.
- Guy's SQL Server TOP 10 Lists
- SQL Server reference Docs in Palm Pilot Format
- SQL Server White Papers List
These pages may not be resold or redistributed without prior written permission from Guy van den Berg