caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

Mckinsey Success Stories

I love hearing the success stories of my readers who have gone on to receive offers. I want to share some of these with you so that you can see which tools and strategies helped them succeed.Success Story:I received a letter inviting me to join Mckinsey& Company in Latin America. I really want to thank you for the time spent in the caseinterview.com because it was probably the best tool to improve my chances...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

The Smartest Person in the Room

Your ability to be the smartest person in the room is highly dependent on your willingness to be the dumbest person in the room. Note: The rooms in these two situations are typically not the same room! In public work life, I often feel bemused by the amount of attention I get for my achievements. While I intellectually understand it, emotionally, it feels unwarranted. The outside world sees how I spend 10% of my time. The other 90% of...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

Power Begets Power

In life, the rich get richer, the successful get more successful, and the powerful get more powerful. Separate from the debate of whether this is a good thing or not, most agree there is a tendency for these things to happen. The question is, "Why?" And, why does it matter to you? When you’re rich, you’re able to use your capital to gain access to information, opportunities, and relationships that others don’t have...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

The 1% Improvement Rule

If you improve your skills by 1% per week, in a year, you’ll have improved well over 50% (especially when you include compounding). If you improve your skills by 1% per day, in a year, you’ll have improved well over 365% (again, with compounding). I love this rule for two reasons. First, a 1% improvement feels incredibly doable. You know that presentation you gave on Zoom? Could you get feedback on it, make some adjustments, and...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

The Secret of Success Is... Attendance

There’s a quote I heard decades ago: “80 percent of success is just showing up.” When I first heard that quote, it seemed overly simplistic to the point that I dismissed it. However, with a few decades of perspective, I’ve changed my mind on this point of view. I’ve come to deeply appreciate how much of getting anything you want in life is largely driven by your… attendance. If you want to get good at a sport, show up at...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

Emotional Resilience in a Pandemic

Adversity comes in two flavors. The first is a hardship due to an external factor often outside of your control. This is a crisis that occurs due to circumstances or something external that impacts you. COVID-19 and the related economic contraction is a good example of externally driven adversity. The second type is an internal crisis. This can be a crisis of confidence, self-worth, or identity. Internal crises are often (but not...

caseinterview.com caseinterview.com

First-Order Principles

Over the arc of my career, I’ve done extensive work in professional development. This work included learning an endless list of strategies, tactics, and skills. When I look back over that time, the parts that I have valued the most are things I call “first-order principles.” A principle is a rule of thumb that’s timeless in nature. For example, I took a public speaking class at Stanford when I was 19 years old. The single most...