The journey to become an engineer is not an easy one as it requires years of tough school subjects and projects, intense bootcamps, and plentiful commitment. Knowing that this is not an easy journey, our recent guest William Lee chose to pursue three college degrees in an engineering field topped off with a MBA – all while interning and working full time at different organizations. His knowledge and experience is laudable and we are honored that he took time out of his day to chat with us!
William’s educational experience consists of a BA in Electrical Engineering, a MS in Electrical Engineering, a MS in Systems Engineering, a MBA in Business Administration. His work experience consists of being a software engineer at Universal Electronics, an automation engineer at both Biogen Idec and Genentech, and a current applications engineer at NeuroSky – we’re floored! Here are a few key takeaways from the tech talk:
- Engineers love soda, pizza, and coding
- Engineers are quirky and have a lot of fun
- Technical abilities are important – but are not everything as they can be learned
- Be willing to learn new things and learn from your mistakes!
- Be as transparent as possible when it comes to teamwork
- Writing code at a startup is a lot more dynamic
- Build a portfolio full of projects that actually work and are useful to stand out to employers
If you’re interested in the full version of this fireside chat, please watch it here.