Specialized Enduro Comp 650b first ride review
Specialized’s Enduro has been a contender in the long-travel category for years now. The Comp is the cheapest model, which this year gets better parts and a slightly higher price than its predecessor.
- Best mountain bike: how to choose the right one for you
- Best mountain bike pedals — 13 of our favourites
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 frame
The Enduro’s frame was updated (read: lengthened) for 2017 and then again for 2018, but this year’s bike uses the same frame as last year. That means you get longish, but not boundary-pushing, geometry — Specialized claims a reach of 444mm for the medium size and 489mm for the XL bike tested.
I measured the bottom bracket (BB) height at 330mm, which is super-low. It can be raised by 8mm using an adjustable chip in the shock yoke, but I preferred the low setting. The head angle is a moderately slack 65.5 degrees. There’s neat internal cable routing, a threaded BB and space for a full-size water bottle.
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 kit
The component highlight is the RockShox Lyrik RC fork. With its ‘Charger’ damper and smoother air spring, it’s streets ahead of the Yari on the 2018 bike.
I also like the X-Fusion Manic seatpost with its 150mm of drop and inline head, which effectively make the seat angle steeper (this too is an upgrade, over the outgoing Specialized Command post).
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 ride impressions
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 early verdict
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 specifications
- Sizes (*tested): S, M, L, XL*
- Frame: ‘M5’ aluminium alloy, 170mm (6.7in) travel
- Fork: RockShox Lyrik RC, 170mm (6.7in) travel
- Shock: RockShox Monarch Plus RT3
- Cranks: SRAM Truvativ Descendant
- Shifters: SRAM NX Eagle, 12spd
- Mech: SRAM NX Eagle, 12spd
- Brakes: SRAM Guide R, 200/180mm rotors
- Wheelset: Roval Traverse rims on Specialized hubs
- Tyres: Specialized Butcher GRID Gripton 2Bliss 27.5x2.6in
- Bar: Specialized DH, 800mm
- Stem: Specialized Trail, 45mm
- Seatpost: X-Fusion Manic dropper, 150mm
- Saddle: Specialized BG Phenom Comp
- Weight: 15.7kg (34.6lb), XL size without pedals
Specialized Enduro Comp 650 geometry
- Head tube angle: 65.5 degrees
- Seat tube angle: 76.5 degrees
- Reach: 48.9cm / 19.25in
- Stack: 62.2cm / 24.49in
- Seat tube: 52.1cm / 20.51in
- Top tube: 63.9cm / 25.16in
- Head tube length: 13cm / 5.12in
- Chainstay: 43.3cm / 17.05in
- Fork offset: 4.6cm / 1.81in
- Trail: 11.3cm / 4.45in
- Wheelbase: 1,252mm / 49.29in
You can read more at BikeRadar.com