Biweekly WASH Research Update – March 4, 2021
This is the final WASH research update from the WCKM project, which was supported by the USAID’s RFS Center for Water Security, Sanitation and Hygiene. This update features new additions to the Globalwaters.org website, 18 recent studies, reports and webinars and we hope these updates have been useful to you.
Updates to Globalwaters.org
- Upcoming Events – Upcoming Webinar – COVID-19 and WASH: What We Know and What’s Next (Related findings available here).
- Upcoming Events – Water Trust/WASHPaLS webinar: Poultry management and WASH
- Upcoming Events – International Women’s Day 2021: #ChooseToChallenge
- Blog – Going Beyond Taps and Toilets in the Sahel
- Report – SWA: Water and Sanitation: How to Make Public Investment Work
- News – USAID Will Help Pakistan to Enhance Water Governance
WASH Studies and Resources
- WASH in schools for student return during the COVID-19 pandemic. IDS, February 2021.
- COVID-19 resilience – Adapting In a Time Of Crisis. WSUP Webinar, February 2021.
- SARS-CoV-2 RNA in Swabbed Samples from Latrines and Flushing Toilets: A Case–Control Study in a Rural Latin American Setting. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, March 2021.
- Household Water Insecurity Will Complicate the Ongoing COVID-19 Response: Evidence from 29 Sites in 23 Low- and Middle-Income Countries. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, February 2021.
- SARS-CoV-2 sewage surveillance in low-income countries: potential and challenges. Journal of Water & Health, February 2021.
- What is hygiene? WASHeconomics, March 2021.
- Regional state of hygiene – West Africa. WaterAid, March 2021.
- Could Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer Be an Option for Hand Hygiene for Households in Rural Bangladesh? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, March 2021.
- Unravelling context: a formative photovoice study of Indian youth perspectives of sanitation and hygiene practices. Waterlines, January 2021.
Menstrual Hygiene and Health
- ‘Menstruation means impurity’: multilevel interventions are needed to break the menstrual taboo in Nepal. BMC Women’s Health, February 2021.
- Effectiveness of community and school-based sanitation interventions in improving latrine coverage: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled interventions. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine, February 2021.
- Child defecation, feces disposal practices and associated factors in community-led total sanitation adopted districts in Jimma Zone, Ethiopia. Environmental Challenges, April 2021.
- Where Does CLTS Work Best? Quantifying Predictors of CLTS Performance in Four Countries. Environ. Sci. Technol. February 2021.
- Impact of sampling depth on pathogen detection in pit latrines. PLoS NTDs, March 2021.
- Operation and Maintenance of WASH Infrastructure Webinar Series: Webinar #1. PRO-WASH, March 2021.
- Monitoring socio-climatic interactions to prioritise drinking water interventions in rural Africa. NPJ Clean Water, February 2021.
- Co-producing drinking water in rural Ethiopia: Governmentality in the name of community management. Water Alternatives, February 2021.
- A review of 80 assessment tools measuring water security. WIREs Water, February 2021.