Tractor Operator Job on Organic Farm – MA
Tractor Operator Job Responsibilities
The Tractor Operator is responsible for the bulk of our tillage, bed prep, planting, culivation, and mechanized harvest using our fleet of 6 tractors. We run both gasoline and diesel tractors, ranging from 15hp to 100hp, and have a wide range of vegetable production implements that the Tractor Operator must have a high level of skill in operating safely and efficiently. The Operator must be able to meet the farm standards for each kind of work in variable field and soil conditions. The Operator is responsible for daily equipment checks and routine maitenance of the tractors and implements, trailering tractors and equipment between sites, communicating with the farmer and other farm crew, and helping out with irrigation rotation when necessary.
Tractor Operator Job Qualifications
- 2+ years experience operating tractors, ideally in vegetable production
- Strong safety record
- Knowledge of basic tractor and equipment maintenance
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency and maintain a swift pace, looking for efficiencies in independent tasks
- Aptitude for self-driven, independent work
- Drivers license and reliable transportation
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
- Willingness to “wear multiple hats” and contribute to other aspects of the farm
This is a full-time, seasonal position averaging 40-60 hours/week with the potential for year-round work for the right candidate. The Tractor Operator joins us in April and works through the end of December.
We offer a competitive hourly wage commensurate with experience. Additionally, all employees enjoy farm produce and a 20% discount in the Langwater Farmstand.
- Learn more about farming and food jobs and internships, or learn how to post a job, internship, or apprenticeship opportunity on beginningfarmers.org by going to https://www.beginningfarmers.org/internship-and-employment-opportunities/
- Find additional farming resources at https://www.beginningfarmers.org/additional-farming-resources/