Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
This vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream is a healthy treat with BIG chocolate flavor. Bonus: you can make it with or without an ice cream maker!
If you’re not usually a fan of avocados, you might be hovering over the X on your browser tab right now, but before you click away, let me tell you—this Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream is one of the best ice creams I’ve ever had.
And no, it doesn’t taste like avocado!
Now, I won’t say it tastes exactly like ice cream made with egg yolks and heavy cream, but the avocado makes for a healthy fat substitute that adds richness and texture without the dairy. The chocolate flavour is the star of the show here, and its taste masks the avocado.
You can make this ice cream with an ice cream maker or use the no-churn instructions below. However you make it, you can expect a luxurious, creamy texture and deep chocolate flavour. Serve a scoop over a warm vegan brownie for a doubly delicious dessert!
Is Avocado Ice Cream Good for You?
While I can’t speak for all avocado ice creams, this avocado ice cream is definitely a guilt-free treat! It has loads of healthy fats, antioxidants, and no refined sugar.
Notes on Ingredients
Please note that this is important information on the ingredients and instructions and the FULL recipe with amounts and details can be found DOWN BELOW (scroll to it) in the recipe card.
- Full-fat coconut milk – Be sure to use the full-fat variety, not the refrigerated kind or lite coconut milk.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – You can use natural cocoa powder, Dutch process, or raw cacao.
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
Picking the Perfect Avocado for Ice Cream
If you’re planning on making your ice cream the same day you’re shopping, you’ll want to buy a ripe avocado—one that yields to firm, gentle pressure without feeling mushy or soft.
Making your avocado ice cream later in the week? Then you can purchase a hard avocado, which will ripen in a few days.
Vegan Ice Cream Toppings
- Vegan hot fudge
- Coconut whipped cream
- Vegan sprinkles
- Crumbled chocolate chip cookies
- Chopped nuts
- Ice cream cones
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
Ready for some rich, decadent ice cream?! Let’s get started.
Blend the avocado and coconut milk. Place the avocado and coconut milk in a food processor or blender and process until the mixture is smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients. Put the cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla, and water into the blender or food processor and blend for about 2 minutes, or until the ingredients are fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed.
For an Ice Cream Machine:
Pour the ice cream base into a freezer-safe container in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill. Churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions for your machine.
For No-Churn Ice Cream:
Place all of the ice cream base into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 3 to 4 hours, whisking every 20 minutes to prevent ice crystals from forming. It should get thicker after each time you whisk, until it’s firm enough to scoop.
Tips for Success
Here are some hints and tips for perfect Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream!
- Be careful with ingredient swaps. Making ice cream is like baking—it’s equal parts art and science, and if you start playing too much with the ingredients, you might not get the results you want.
- Let the ice cream thaw before serving. If your freezer runs cold, you might need to let the ice cream sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature before scooping.
- About mix-ins. If you want to add chocolate chips, fruit, or other mix-ins, I recommend incorporating them into softened ice cream just before serving for maximum freshness. You might think adding a handful of diced strawberries before freezing will be delicious, but they’ll freeze into something with the taste and texture of ice cubes!
How to Store
Store this ice cream in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy friends! If you make this vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream recipe, please snap a photo and tag #jessicainthekitchen on Instagram! We’d also love it if you would leave a comment below, and give the recipe a rating! Thanks so much!
| WHAT YOU’LL NEED // SHOP MY FAVORITE INGREDIENTS & PREP PRODUCTS |
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk 380 g
- 4.5 oz avocado about 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted 127 g
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegan hot fudge for drizzling
- Vegan Sprinkles for sprinkling on top
- Add the avocado and coconut milk to a food processor/blender and pulse together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend in for about 2 minutes until smooth and incorporated, scraping down the bowl once.
Ice Cream Machine
- Place all ice cream base into a freezer-safe container in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set up before freezing. Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions for your machine.
- Place all ice cream base into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer and allow to freeze for 1 hour.
- Whisk slightly every 20 minutes to avoid it getting too icy for 3-4 hours. It should be getting thicker after each whisking, until it’s firm enough to scoop.
- To eat: serve immediately or when you are ready for it (after it’s been in the freezer), thaw for 5-10 minutes and scoop with an ice cream scoop.
- You can optionally add hot fudge and sprinkles on top.