Getting married? Here’s why you should reach for the Chase Sapphire Preferred
Congratulations! You’ve found your life partner and the future looks bright for both of you. Now that you’re engaged, it’s time to plan your storybook wedding, which will probably be an expensive proposition.
According to The Knot, the average cost for a wedding reception in 2021 is roughly $22,500. There are several important and costly decisions to make regarding your wedding including the venue, entertainment, attire, flowers, transportation and, of course, your honeymoon. Experts suggest having a budget in mind and doing your best to work within that budget. Your Chase Sapphire Preferred can help you earn valuable rewards, protect pre-wedding purchases and also provide points for your honeymoon.
Application link: Chase Sapphire Preferred available with the best-ever sign-up bonus of 100,000 points.
Get the best sign-up bonus ever
The Chase Sapphire Preferred now comes with the highest sign-up bonus in its history. New cardholders can earn a whopping 100,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of the account opening. With a slew of wedding expenses ahead, reaching this $4,000 threshold won’t be difficult. The most important thing to remember is that timing is key: You must spend the required amount within three months of when you open your new account.
That 100,000-point bonus you’ll earn translates into $2,000 of value, according to TPG valuations. Earn 25% more value when you redeem points for travel or Pay Yourself Back through the Ultimate Rewards portal. That’s real rewards just for using the card for wedding swag.
Here is a summary of the nuptials-inspired perks you can snag:
- Reap points via Lyft rides. Leave the driving to others and travel with less stress to your wedding appointments with Lyft. You will earn 5x points on Lyft rides through March 2022. This is 3x points above the 2x points you already earn on travel.
- Enjoy flexible payment terms. Chase credit card holders, including Sapphire Preferred, have access to My Chase Plan. This allows you to break up credit card purchases of $100 or more into fixed monthly payments with no interest — just a fixed monthly fee. This can help with a couple’s payment plan against larger purchases put on their credit card for the wedding, including the dress, tux, catering, flowers and rings. You could also use My Chase Plan to budget out those honeymoon payments off of your revolving balance.
- Feed your bridal party. Now through June 30, Chase Sapphire Preferred cardmembers earn 10x points on takeout or prepaid reservations made through Chase Dining in Ultimate Rewards. Also, as a Chase Sapphire Preferred cardholder, you have access to complimentary DashPass with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 on DoorDash and Caviar. These perks could save on delivery fees when you order brunch or lunch for the bridal party as they are getting ready for the big day.
- Save money on DIY wedding swag. You’ll earn more as points are worth 25% more when redeemed for Pay Yourself Back in Ultimate Rewards in the following categories: home improvement, grocery stores and dining (currently through Sept. 30). You could save money by redeeming points for purchases of materials or flowers from home improvement stores (such as Lowes or Home Depot) for any of your wedding DIY projects. Even more, points are worth 25% more when redeemed for travel in Ultimate Rewards, which can help save money when booking your honeymoon!
- Burn off stress and weight. You get $60 back in statement credits for Peloton Digital and All Access memberships. Don’t worry if you don’t have the equipment, you still can get in shape before the wedding with Peloton’s Digital membership, which features classes from running and strength training to yoga.
- Enjoy purchase protection. When you make a full purchase on your Chase Sapphire Preferred card, eligible items are covered for 120 days against theft or damage. Note this is capped at $500 per claim. So, this nifty perk could cover theft or damage for up to four months for wedding-related items. Terms apply so be sure to check your cardmember agreement for details.
Travel benefits will create honeymoon-centric savings
Earlier, we mentioned the 100,000-point sign-up bonus that you earn as long as you spend $4,000 within the first three months of your account’s opening. The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns valuable Chase Ultimate Rewards points that can be transferred to three hotel and 10 airline partners. You are able to use these points through the Ultimate Rewards travel portal at a rate of 1.25 cents per point. The winning strategy is to do your research to make the exchange work best.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred has a $95 annual fee. The value you gain from this card easily offsets the fee. Make sure you meet the spending threshold within the first three months and do your best to reap all the value from your card. And the card will keep proving its value even after your wedding.
Apply now for the Chase Sapphire Preferred with a 100,000-point sign-up bonus.
Featured photo by Wyatt Smith/The Points Guy.