How to Turn Oyster Mushrooms into Fried Chicken
Oyster Mushroom Fried Chicken Recipe
Did you know that Oyster Mushrooms can be found all year round? During its peak season, you can have the most flavorful and highly nutritious mushrooms that you can add to your stocks and any of your go-to vegan recipes. Not only does it bring tasteful joys to your plates, but oyster mushrooms play a huge role in the ecosystem known as mycorestoration – this is the process of decreasing pollution by decomposing organic material into soil. The more demands there are for these super veggies, the greater environmental impact we can create in the world.
A healthy planet creates healthy foods. If you are craving a plant-based fried chicken, but you don’t want to pay a premium for premade “fake meats” at the grocery stores, you need to try this Fried Chicken Oyster Mushroom Recipe. You can create the perfect batter using my KFC-inspired seasoning mix and cluster the oyster mushrooms into this amazing, flavourful vegan chicken alternative. You can enjoy this “fried chicken” on its own, make it into bite-sized nuggets, or enjoy it as a vegan fried chicken & waffles combo.
Alternative ways to make this recipe:
You can swap out the KFC seasoning with any of your favorite vegan sauces. Other alternative spices to consider are cajun, or jerk sauce!
Related Recipe: Chicken Fried Cauliflower
Oyster Mushroom Fried Chicken (Vegan)
There are endless alternatives to turning any recipes vegan. You don’t have to give up the pleasures of enjoying fried chicken when you can mimic the texture and taste using vegan-friendly ingredients.
This vegan fried chicken recipe might just be one of your next favorite recipes you won’t have to give up. Although there are many ways to make vegan “fried chicken”, using mushrooms adds just more flavor and natural textures to your modified “meat”. You can also check out my other fried chicken recipes where I use cauliflowers, mushrooms, tofu, seitan and more! Why I love cooking vegan food is that the creativity and combinations of flavors are endless.
How many servings does this make?
This recipe serves between 8-10 fried chicken servings. You can double the ingredients to feed more people.
Related Post: 15+ Vegan Chicken Recipes
INGREDIENTS FOR OYSTER MUSHROOM CHICKEN (VEGAN):
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Corn Starch
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Dry Mustard Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Ginger
- White Pepper
- MSG (optional) you can also sub for 1 tsp sea salt
- Measuring Utensils
- Mixing Bowls
- Deep Pan or Cast Iron Pan or Deep Fryer
- Wire Drying Rack
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp dry mustard powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tsp MSG (optional) you can also sub for 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast-iron or deep pan until it reaches 375F, or use a deep fryer. Place a write rack into a lipped baking sheet, repeat with a second wire rack.
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together; ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour, panko bread crumbs, ½ cup corn starch, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp dried basil, ½ tsp dried oregano, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tbsp dry mustard powder, 2 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, ½ tbsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp white pepper, 1 tsp MSG or 1 tsp sea salt.
- In a second medium-size bowl, whisk together; 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, ¼ cup corn starch, 1 tsp celery salt & 1½ cup water.
- When the oil is ready to go, dip the oyster mushroom clusters first into the wet batter, then into the dry, making sure it's thoroughly coated, pressing with your hands to get the flour to adhere in a thick layer. Lay them onto the wire cooling rack to rest.
- Working in batches, place the mushrooms clusters into the hot oil using tongs, and fry 2-3 mins per side until they're golden brown and crispy. Then, place them onto the clean wire cooling rack allowing the excess oil to drip off. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Serve on their own or with dipping sauces of your choice.
Hey welcome to The Edgy Veg – we veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. We hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Chicken Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!