Liverpool gig guide: Lydia Ainsworth, The Snuts, The Seamonsters, Once And Future Band and more…
September is in full swing and with it, the gigs are coming thick and fast, Getintothis’ Simon Kirk looks at this week’s top gigs to help you with your diary.
As the first week of September passes, more bizarre incidents have unfolded where British politics is concerned.
Need we elaborate? Probably, the implications of Brexit will have an effect on us all.
However, on these pages, I believe it’s best to stick to the agenda. Perhaps the elected MPs of this country could take a leaf out of such a book?
In any case, the gig guide is a vehicle to drive you from the comforts of your own home, or in modern politics’ case, get you away from the BBC Parliament channel and aimless discourse from clowns in expensive clobber.
To the task at hand and last week’s successful Skeleton Coast festival on the Wirral seems to have broken the August lull, opening up gateway to a slew of good gigs across the city.
As a side note, if you haven’t yet read the wash-up of Skeleton Coast (no pun intended), hit the link above.
While the big fish aren’t biting just yet, there are plenty of smaller gigs around that are sure to tickle your fancy, not least two superb nights at 81 Renshaw Street. As they say, it’s the small fish that taste sweeter and this week there are plenty of them.
Here are our picks of this week’s action:
81 Renshaw Street, Thursday, September 12
The week’s first of two impressive coups by the fine folks at 81 Renshaw Street, Canada composer, Lydia Ainsworth, arrives looking to wow punters with her gorgeous experimental sounds.
Ainsworth is touring on the back of her third album, Phantom Forest, which was released earlier this year. A rare opportunity to see an event like this in such an intimate milieu.
Arts Club, Loft, Saturday, September 14
After last year’s performance at The Shipping Forecast, West Lothian’s The Snuts are back on Merseyside, having sold out many of their shows on this tour, including this one.
Having released the single, All Your Friends, in May this year, a new album looks to be in the offing as demand for The Snuts continues on a sharp ascent.
Studio2 Parr Street, Saturday, September 14
Having recently performed at Skeleton Coast, Sheffield collective, The Seamonsters, return to Liverpool in the more quiet surroundings of Studio2 Parr Street.
On the back of their latest single, Blue Movie Baby, a new album looks set for release early next year. This might be the last time you see the band in a venue as small as Parr Street.
Once And Future Band
81 Renshaw Street, Saturday, September 14
Out of the creative swamp of the San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland’s Once And Future Band return to Liverpool after their visit last March wowing those in attendance at the Shipping Forecast.
Free Rock & Roll Festival 2019:
Sound Food and Drink, Liverpool. Saturday, September 14 and Sunday, September 15
Sound are holding Free Rock & Roll Festival 2019 over two days that will have you covered for all things garage, punk, ska, art and noise rock.
The line-up, you ask?
Here you go: Pete Bentham & Dinner Ladies, Pizzatramp, Blue Carpet Band, Snakerattlers, Werecats, Crash Mats, Salt the Snail, Piss Kitti, Sheepy, Bolshy, Old Radio, The Wasters, Poly-Esters, Spam Javelin and Riviera Kid.
Please, we urge you to get along to Sound and support the fine establishment by having a few bevvies.
The best of the rest:
- ParrJazz jam night featuring Andy Morel: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday September 10
- Love Fame Tragedy: Arts Club, Wednesday, September 11
- Parrjazz presents The Blues featuring The Xander Duo: Lounge 69 Wednesday September 11
- The Velveteers and The Pearl Harts: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday September 11
- Soul Train #4 featuring The Soul Rays, Mylo Waters, Electric Shakedown, AYA Music: Studio2 Parr Street, Thursday September 12
- Getrz: The Jacaranda, Thursday September 12
- This Feeling presents Rats: Arts Club, Loft, Friday, September 13
- WSTR with Bronnie, Gen and The Degenerates, Overset & Gold Bloom: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday September 13
- Blurred Bagel presents Sallow Pillow plus guests: The Jacaranda, Friday, September 13
- DJ Marky & MC GQ: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday, September 13
- Columbia: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday, September 14
- Steve Pilgrim with Mel Bowen: Naked Lunch Cafe, Saturday September 14
- Happy Accidents presents The Rondays, Lost in Echos, Hammerhead Snails, Idle Lies: The Jacaranda, Saturday September 14
- Craig Charles Funk and Soul Club: Camp & Furnace, Saturday, September 14
- Peter Bruntnell: St. Bride’s Church, Saturday September 14
- Parrjazz presents the Sputniks: Ma Boyles, Saturday September 14
- Gryphon: Ullet Road Unitarian Church, Saturday September 14
- Jake Warner: The Zanzibar, Sunday September 15
The post Liverpool gig guide: Lydia Ainsworth, The Snuts, The Seamonsters, Once And Future Band and more… appeared first on Getintothis.