Liverpool gig guide: Temples, Say Sue Me, Michael Chapman, Creep Show and much more
October is just about here and the gigs are coming thick and fast, Getintothis’ Simon Kirk looks at the week ahead.
Well, it seems the gig silly season is upon us. Where to start…
While we’ve highlighted certain events below that we hope you consider, there’s so much more to next week.
Namely 24 Kitchen Street‘s gigs, which are jam-packed with goodness – the pick of them being Friday night with Spencer Parker.
In the world of beats, the Invisible Wind Factory doesn’t miss out, either, with Maribou State‘s DJ set to take punters into the early hours.
Then there is what we’ve earmarked below. Surf rockers, Say Sue Me, are arguably one of the best live acts the planet at the minute while our Deep Cuts event on Thursday is the perfect streamline leading into the weekend of, you guessed it, more gigs!
So, there it is. There are no excuses this week, people. Get involved.
Temples: Jacaranda Phase One, Monday September 30
Throwback psych-rockers, Temples, hit Jac’ Phase One in support of their brand new album, Hot Motion, which was released on Friday through ATO Records.
This one is an in-store signing and kicks off from 12 noon before the band continue their journey to Manchester to play the Soup Kitchen on the night.
Gary Numan: O2 Academy, Monday September 30
’80s figurehead, Gary Numan, returns to Liverpool for a 40th Anniversary tour, set to join the dots between the old and the Nu (sorry, couldn’t resist).
Numanoids will be flocking to the O2 for this no doubt, for his latest reviews have been rather positive. The 61 year-old seemingly still has the touch.
Say Sue Me: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday October 1
South Korean noise makers and one of the finest live acts kicking around the world at the moment, Say Sue Me, return to Liverpool for their own headline show.
The surf rock ‘gazers were easily the highlight of this year’s Sound City festival, wowing a small crowd at the Baltic Social. This one is set to be a special night, believe us. See you there.
Deep Cuts: Jacaranda Phase One, Thursday October 3
Another month and another one of our Deep Cuts events. Suffice to say, October’s instalment features more new local talent (of course it does!)
Podge are set to headline our night. Other acts include Hammderhead Snails, Echoes, The Merchants and former Getintothis staffer, Abby Meysenburg, who has recently released a new EP, At Least Mostly Sure, which we urge you all to hold an ear to.
Phobophobes: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday October 4
London six piece, Phobophobes, return to Liverpool in support of their latest album, Miniature World, which was released last year.
Having wowed punters at their Shipping Forecast show last year, this will be the perfect opportunity for those who didn’t catch the band first time around.
Michael Chapman: St. Bride’s Church, Saturday October 5
Prolific Yorkshire folk legend, Michael Chapman, arrives on Merseyside for a rare performance at St. Bride’s Church.
Chapman is in town on the back of his brilliant new album, the Steve Gunn produced True North, which was released in February this year.
Support is provided by Nick Ellis.
Creep Show: Arts Club, Sunday October 6
The project (which includes former Cabaret Voltaire frontman, Stephen Mallinder) released their debut album, Mr Dynamite last year to glowing reviews. No better way to quell the Sunday blues than right here, folks.
Best of the rest:
- Sophie and the Giants: Sound Food and Drink, Monday September 30
- The Human Element: EBGBs, Tuesday October 1
- Danny Rankin AKA Decoy: Kurupt FM: 24 Kitchen Street, Tuesday October 1
- Fangclub: The Zanzibar, Wednesday October 2
- Preston Reed: Grand Central Hall, Thursday October 3
- CherryBomb: Arts Club, Thursday October 3
- Moxie presents On Loop with Ben UFO & Breakwave: 24 Kitchen Street, Thursday October 3
- Keston Cobblers Club – 10 Year Anniversary: Studio2 Parr Street, Friday October 4
- Jovial presents Spencer Parker: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday October 4
- Crowbar: Arts Club, Friday October 4
- Garth Cartwright: 81 Renshaw, Friday October 4
- The Velvet Hands: The Jacaranda Club, Friday October 4
- Sonny Fodera: Camp & Furnace, Friday October 4
- Maribou State (DJ set): The Invisible Wind Factory, Friday October 4
- Ambedo Blue: EBGB’s, Saturday October 5
- Revival Black pre-album launch: The Zanzibar Club, Saturday October 5
- The Wonder Pot w/ Gerd Janson: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday October 5
- Inside Outside Duo: Ma Boyles Saturday October 5
- Binary, Latmun: Constellations, Saturday October 5
- Boo Hewerdine: Liverpool Philharmonic Music Room, Sunday October 6
- John McGlone & the Souls of Emotion: 81 Renshaw, Sunday October 6
The post Liverpool gig guide: Temples, Say Sue Me, Michael Chapman, Creep Show and much more appeared first on Getintothis.