24 Reasons To Vote
By Dr. E. Faye Williams, Esq.
(Trice Edney Wire) — For me, like many others, the news that Joe Biden had chosen Senator Kamala Harris as his running-mate in this year’s presidential election was historic, exciting, and motivating. Senator Harris brings the experience and talents necessary to WIN and GOVERN! Realizing my opinion does not create consensus, I listened to local radio to gauge the opinion of others in my community. I know that “THE PERFECT TICKET” does not exist, but I was eager to learn what others thought. My assumption was that most comments would express an understanding that the vote is a demonstration of trust in a candidate to act in the best interests of the voter. I was largely disappointed.
Many of the reasons I heard for/against the Biden-Harris ticket were based upon previously released opposition research. Many were arguable, but others were as ridiculous as Kanye West being a viable presidential alternative. I found myself wanting to debate with many of the callers.
Unexpectedly, I received a list of reasons for voting Biden-Harris that was consistent with my views. This list provides me with the opportunity to “speak to a larger audience.” It was sent without attribution to an author or origin, but I thank whoever took the time to compile this cogent list. The list exceeded my word limit, but, for the greater good, I feel compelled to provide as much of it as possible.
1. YOU’RE NOT JUST VOTING FOR PRESIDENT/VP!
2. You’re voting to prevent a 7-2 dangerously conservative majority on the Supreme Court. (Note: 87-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is single-handedly fighting to hang on until we have a new president. This alone should be enough for historic turnout!)
3. You’re voting for the next Secretaries of Education, Housing and Attorney General.
4. You’re voting to keep the House and gain a Senate majority.
5. You’re voting for federal judges and the rule of law.
6. You’re voting to save Native American lands and national parks.
7. You’re voting for letting kids out of cages.
8. You’re voting for scientists to be heard and protect us from climate change and pandemics.
9. You’re voting for housing rights.
10. You’re voting for former incarcerated persons to be treated with dignity and assisted to be proud and productive members of society with the right to vote “after paying their debt to society.”
11. You’re voting for DACA Dreamers.
12. You’re voting for the long-term existence of Social Security and Medicare and for your children’s and grandchildren’s future.
13. You’re voting for veteran healthcare.
14. You’re voting for affordable health insurance for everyone.
15. You’re voting for teaching professionals to be paid as the noble heroes they are.
16. You’re voting for sensible gun laws while maintaining your 2nd Amendment rights.
17. You’re voting to curb homelessness and find solutions to affordable housing.
18. You’re voting against systemic racism and income/wealth disparities.
19. You’re voting to defend a woman’s right to make personal health-related decisions and choose personal reproductive rights.
20. You’re voting to acknowledge the humanity and protect the safety of our family and friends in the LGBTQ+ community.
21. You’re voting to stop the normalization of white supremacy and dangerous bigotry in the mainstream.
22. You’re voting for the chance to end qualified immunity for police officers who commit murder and other crimes and hide their corruption behind badges.
23. You’re voting to save the USPS.
24. And you’re voting against allowing the USA to become yet another authoritarian regime run by Trump.
The Biden-Harris ticket isn’t perfect – no ticket ever will be, but we must consider the alternative!!