Friday Food Bites: June 5, 2020
Hi, friends – There’s a lot of work to be done out there. We all have a different role to play in this, but we should ALL play SOME role, and our goal should all be the same: to stand up against racism, to call it out for what it is, and to put an end to it – from individuals, businesses, and the system as a whole.
One small way you can show support is visiting black-owned restaurants and other businesses:
- The Blackout Coalition maintains a list of black-owned businesses. Here’s their listing of 40 restaurants.
- Back in March I rounded up 13 black-owned restaurants for 13 black-owned restaurants for Experience Columbus’ blog
- Columbus Alive highlights 15 black-owned restaurants and cafes
- Columbus Navigator has a growing list of 70+ black-owned businesses
- Just a few that I’ve written about on the blog: Creole Kitchen, Donna’s Delicious Dozen, Hoyo’s Kitchen, SuperChef’s, Addis Restaurant, Lalibela, African Paradise, Upper Cup Coffee
This is only the tip of the iceberg, but if you have the time and money and are looking to show support, visit these businesses. Order takeout, tip well, spread the word. These are our friends, our neighbors, our community.
Now here’s the latest in the Columbus restaurant world:
- Today is National Donut Day! Support a local donut shop by ordering a dozen. Share some with friends, family, and neighbors. Consult my Complete Guide to Columbus Donut Shops!
- Pierogi Mountain announced they have signed a lease for the old Grass Skirt Tiki Room space at 105 N. Grant Ave.
- A few farmers markets start up for the season this Saturday, June 6, including the North Market farmers market and the Westgate Farmers Market
- A few vendors inside the Center Street Market in Old Hilliard have opened: Crooked Can Brewing, Bakes By Lo, Dumplings of Fury, Rime Time Pops, The Cheesecake Girl
- More restaurants are reopening – some for carryout only and some for dine-in: Fox in the Snow‘s German Village cafe, both locations of Natalie’s Coal Fired Pizza, The Half Pint in Worthington, Rooh in Short North.
- For the first time ever, Barcelona in German Village will start serving brunch this Sunday, June 7
- For last week’s news, you can read my Food News column in Columbus Alive
Want to keep up with more? Check out the news archives, follow our Current Cravings, or sign up for my weekly newsletter: 8 Things to Eat, Drink, See, & Explore This Week!