Chimmichurri Opening in Old Tillman’s Spot
This October, Bishop Arts District will welcome an authentic Argentinian bistro to the vibrant block. Chimichurri is a partnership between Jesus Carmona of Tacos Mariachi and successful restauranteur Ramiro Fernandez Pazos, who originally hails from Argentina and has been running popular restaurants and bars in Mexico City for 15 years.
Chimichurri has taken over the old Tillman’s Roadhouse space, updating the building to feature a 120-seat dining room and an outdoor terrace. Design elements include recycled wine bottle chandeliers, colorful murals and memorabilia from the movie “Don’t Cry for me Argentina.”
Pazos has moved to Dallas to finally make this concept a reality, after working on the idea for five years with Carmona. Chef Charlie Peralta completes the team—he’s been working with Pazos for 13 years, and has international experience running high-end kitchens in Mexico City, New York and Dubai.
The menu will feature traditional specialties, including grilled meats served in the asado style, empanadas, Argentinian pizzas, choripáns (chorizo sandwiches), dulce de leche and plenty more. The wine list follows the food’s lead, and is comprised of 75% Argentinian wines, with the remaining 25% sourced from South American and California.
Outside on the terrace, you’ll find the Vermoutheria, a bar specializing in vermouth cocktails, bitters and spritzes, perfect for whetting your appetite before dinner. The drinks menu was created by accomplished local barman, James Slater (Knife, Five-Sixty, Network Bar). In the future, the restaurant will also include the speakeasy-style Tango Bar, which will serve classic and creative cocktails in an intimate space.
Chimichurri is named for the popular sauce and condiment, which is made from parsley, garlic and olive oil and served alongside grilled meats in Argentina. The staple changes slightly from region to region, and even by household, as people put their own spin on it. That same adaptability is a reflection of the multi-cultural country and the restaurant that it inspires.
“Argentina is a country of immigrants, each with their own story to tell, and its cuisine, art and music reflect this mix of cultures and accents,” says Pazos. “At Chimichurri, we want to tell these stories and make you feel at home with our cooking.”
Chimichurri is slated to open in October for dinner only for the first two weeks. It’s located at 324 W 7th Street in the Bishop Arts neighborhood of Oak Cliff.