Podcast #688: Protection for and from Humanity
When celebrities, dignitaries, and executives go out and about and travel around the world, they’re often surrounded by bodyguards whose job it is to protect them and their loved ones.
My guest today offers a look at what’s involved in offering these professional protective services for VIPs, and how average citizens can apply the same principles to protect themselves and their families. His name is Todd Fox, he has an extensive military and law enforcement background, and he’s the founder of Close Protection Corps and the author of Protection for & from Humanity. Todd and I discuss why the soft skills around mindset constitute the foundation of personal protection, and the prep work that’s necessary to keep both VIPs and normal folks safe, including the process of “advancing” and a system from the Vietnam era you can use to make yourself a “hard target.” We then discuss what you can learn from the Marine Combat Hunter program, the Cooper Color Code, and the OODA Loop to develop better situational awareness. We end our conversation with the hard skills you should learn to protect yourself, and the order you should learn them in.
If reading this in an email, click the title of the post to listen to the show.
- The distinction between security and protection
- Why soft skills are more important than hard skills in self-defense
- Why fighting should be your last resort in any and every self-defense scenario
- What is “advancing”?
- How can a civilian do this type of thing when vacationing?
- How do bad guys pick their targets?
- Methodologies for assessing the various threats and risks in your life
- Protecting your home
- Detecting anomalies and determining their importance
- Using Cooper’s Color Code to your tactical advantage
- Useful hard skills for the Average Joe to learn
Resources/Articles/People Mentioned in Podcast
- Developing Real-World Situational Awareness
- How to Develop the Situational Awareness of Jason Bourne
- What to Do If You’re Being Followed
- The Tao of Boyd: How to Master the OODA Loop
- How to Deal With Aggressive People
- Be Your Own Bodyguard
- When Violence Is the Answer
- Social Aggression vs. Asocial Violence
- What to Do in an Active Shooter Situation
- How to Turn 12 Everyday Items Into Improvised Weapons
- How to Avoid Getting Pickpocketed
- CARVER method
- Burglar-Proof Your Home: A Complete Guide to Home Security
- A Guide to the Warrior Color Code
- Principles of Personal Defense
- The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
Connect With Todd
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Read the Transcript