PP# 187: Addressing Racial Bias in Maternal Healthcare with Kimberly Seals Allers
Kimberly Seals Allers is an award-winning journalist, five-time author, international speaker, strategist, and advocate for maternal & infant health. A former senior editor at ESSENCE and writer at FORTUNE magazine, Kimberly is a leading voice on the socio-cultural complexities of motherhood. She is also the founder of Irth, a new app to address bias in maternity & infant care.
In this episode, Kimberly and I talk about how she awakened to the inequalities in maternal and infant healthcare, the scary reality of the impact of race on medical care, the racist history of the medical field, what she’s doing to decode bias and create a better experience for Black and brown women, how white women can help to address the inequality in our medical system, and so much more. You are going to love this episode!
Subscribe to the podcast: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Android | Spotify | RSS
Here are the highlights of what we cover during this episode:
- Kimberly’s awakening to the inequalities in maternal and infant healthcare
- The scary message highlighted by Serena Williams’ unfair treatment by medical professionals
- Statistics and studies on the impact of race on medical care
- The racist history of the medical field
- Why creating a more equitable system of maternal healthcare will benefit women of all races
- What white women can do to help to address inequality in our medical systems
- Making sure that the work towards equality is ongoing
- How the exclusion of Black and brown women creates problematic models for maternal care and support
- Recognizing the roles of Black and brown women have played in white women’s achievements
- The traumatic experience that drove Kimberly to create the Irth app for Black and brown women and birthing people
- How the Irth app is decoding bias
- Centering Black and brown people in the designing of the Irth app
- Utilizing the Irth app as a tool for allyship
Resources & Recommendations:
Want even more hormone and period lovin’ content?
- Nicole Jardim’s Book + Bonuses | Fix Your Period
- Bonuses include:
- Fix Your Period workbook to use alongside the actual book
- Period Toolkit that includes a series of ebooks on vaginal steaming, how to use CBD for your menstrual cycle problems, seed cycling, how to use castor oil packs to support your period and fertility, and how to live in harmony with your cycle
- Bonuses include:
- Take my quiz to find out what’s up with your period and hormones, and get my Fix Your Period Quickstart Kit 7-Day Course.
- Want to be the first to know when I release a new blog post? I go deeeeep in my blog posts – you won’t wanna miss them! Sign up here and you’ll be the coolest “periodista” on the block.
- Ready to become your own health advocate and massively uplevel your period game? I’ve got you covered in my Fix Your Period series of programs. You’ll find the right program for you here!
The post PP# 187: Addressing Racial Bias in Maternal Healthcare with Kimberly Seals Allers appeared first on Nicole Jardim.