PP# 191: Could a bleeding disorder be the cause of your heavy period? with Dr. Fiona Bethea & Jhon Velasco
I am super excited to have Dr. Fiona Bethea and Jhon Velasco on the podcast to discuss bleeding disorders because I’ve never discussed this topic on the show and, in my experience, bleeding disorders are often overlooked underlying causes of heavy and long periods. Unfortunately, in more cases than not, women with these symptoms are offered a birth control pill or hormonal IUD to stop the heavy periods and long bouts of bleeding, without further investigation.
Dr. Fiona Bethea is a Health Scientist on the Bleeding Disorders Team in the Epidemiology and Surveillance Branch of the Division of Blood Disorders, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Jhon Velasco is the Manager of Education and Training at National Hemophilia Foundation, where he focuses on women with bleeding disorders, the Spanish speaking community, and mental health.
Fiona and John are both part of the Better You Know campaign, developed by the National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) in partnership with CDC, which focuses on women who may experience symptoms of a bleeding disorder but haven’t been diagnosed. The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness and knowledge of bleeding disorders and provide resources for women who seek care.
In this episode, we talk about common symptoms of bleeding disorders, how they affect the lives of women who have them, why they often go undiagnosed, the importance of early diagnosis and treatment, how the Better You Know campaign can help you learn more, and advocate for yourself or your daughter, what to expect from testing and treatment of bleeding disorders, and so much more!
Subscribe to the podcast: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Android | Spotify | RSS
Here are the highlights of what we cover during this episode:
- What is a bleeding disorder?
- The most common bleeding disorder in women
- Signs of heavy menstrual bleeding
- Why bleeding disorders often go undetected for so long
- How family experiences can cause us to downplay the significance of our symptoms
- The Better You Know campaign’s mission to empower people
- The problem with normalizing our long-term symptoms
- How you can track your menstrual symptoms with the Better You Know Menstrual Chart
- Utilizing the Better You Know Teen Girls Brochure to educate yourself or your daughter
- The benefits of using the Better You Know Healthcare Diary to track your symptoms
- The toll that bleeding disorders can take on our daily lives
- Why early diagnosis of bleeding disorders is critical
- The first steps to take if you think you might have a bleeding disorder
- How you can use the Better You Know resources to advocate for yourself
- How healthcare providers test for bleeding disorders
- What you need to know about treatment for bleeding disorders
Resources & Recommendations:
- Better You Know Menstrual Chart Log & Scoring System
- Better You Know Teen Girls Brochure
- Better You Know Healthcare Diary
- Better You Know Healthcare Provider Resources:
- Better You Know What You Should Know: Your Guide to Lab Tests, Screening Tools & Health Exams
Want even more hormone and period lovin’ content?
- Nicole Jardim’s Book + Bonuses | Fix Your Period
- Bonuses include:
- Fix Your Period workbook to use alongside the actual book
- Period Toolkit that includes a series of ebooks on vaginal steaming, how to use CBD for your menstrual cycle problems, seed cycling, how to use castor oil packs to support your period and fertility, and how to live in harmony with your cycle
- Bonuses include:
- Take my quiz to find out what’s up with your period and hormones, and get my Fix Your Period Quickstart Kit 7-Day Course.
- Want to be the first to know when I release a new blog post? I go deeeeep in my blog posts – you won’t wanna miss them! Sign up here and you’ll be the coolest “periodista” on the block.
- Ready to become your own health advocate and massively uplevel your period game? I’ve got you covered in my Fix Your Period series of programs. You’ll find the right program for you here!