The BEST Keto Braised Beef Recipe
This cozy red wine braised beef recipe features chuck roast, cubed and braised in a rich and savory red wine gravy, infused with fresh herbs & garlic. Prepped in just 10 minutes, this wine braised beef slow cooks to perfection all on its own. Served over creamy cauliflower mash and garnished with fresh thyme, I’m not lying when I say this braised beef recipe is the BEST!
This cozy Fall weather calls for all the cozy dinner recipes. This Red Wine Braised Beef is exactly that! Smothered in savory red wine gravy, and bursting with flavor from fresh herbs and garlic, this delicious braised beef recipe is one for the books. Tender mushrooms give this dish its final touches, and I just can’t get enough. To keep it Keto/Low carb, I serve it over creamy cauliflower mash instead of mashed potatoes.
What Makes this Braised Beef Recipe Work?
Braising beef in red wine is a wonderful process that basically requires nothing from you! It just means that the beef is cooking long and slow at a lower temperature, giving it the perfect opportunity to get tender and juicy and rich with flavors from the fresh herbs, red wine gravy, and garlic. Braising the beef with red wine gives it such a deep, lovely flavor. However, if you want a substitute for the red wine, you can totally use beef broth! It’s a super easy swap!
Needing only 10 minutes to prep, this is the kind of recipe that makes your family think you spent all day long cooking over a hot stove, but really, your dutch oven did all the work! Shh, I won’t tell! Open another bottle of red wine for yourself while you watch this beautiful beef braise itself!
Super Easy Ingredients
Beef: I recommend getting a chuck roast that is already cubed for you! This makes the prep work so much easier!
Veggies: In my braised beef recipe I use mushrooms, carrots, celery, and onions. These veggies get so tender in the red wine gravy and I love the flavor they add.
Herbs & Spices: You only need a few herbs and spices for this recipe, which makes it the least bit fussy! Fresh herbs like thyme & rosemary pack a punch of flavor. The garlic, salt, and pepper complement to make this such a delicious braising sauce.
Flour: I use tapioca flour instead of regular flour to keep this recipe low carb. Check the pro tips below for some easy swaps!
Red Wine Gravy: Tomato paste, red wine, and the juices from the cubed beef (no need to add beef broth!) come together to make a savory gravy perfect for braised beef.
No Dutch Oven? Try These Methods Instead!
Instant Pot: To make this in your instant pot, use the SAUTE function for steps 2-7. For step 8, pressure cook on HIGH for 60 minutes, followed by a quick release.
Slow Cooker: To make this in your slow cooker, do steps 2-6 in your skillet. Then transfer everything to your slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours, or LOW for 8 hours.
Pro Tips & Tools for Braising Meat
Herbs: I prefer fresh herbs if you have them. You can use dried herbs, but use just 2 teaspoons each of rosemary and thyme.
Tapioca Flour: This is my favorite choice for the thickener to keep it Keto friendly, gluten free, and Whole30. You could also use arrowroot flour. If you don’t need this to be keto/GF/Whole30 you could use all-purpose flour or cornstarch. Same quantity for all substitutions.
Dutch Oven: I love my dutch oven. It’s such a lovely way to cook during these cozy fall days. The aromas from the braised beef fill my kitchen and everyone who comes through my door gets a whiff of this mouth-watering dish!
Choose a red wine with a flavor you enjoy drinking. I’ve made this with a cabernet sauvignon, merlot, zinfandel, and cotes du rhone. Any would be a great choice! The bolder the wine, the bolder the sauce will be.
Yes! If you don’t have red wine on hand, or prefer to cook without it, you can substitute the red wine for beef broth, which would also make this recipe Whole30!
Yes! Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer.
Yes, this recipe is really Keto friendly with only 11 net carbs. I recommend serving it with my keto mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes to keep it low carb. It’s also gluten free, grain free, and dairy free, and you want it to be Whole30 friendly, you can substitute beef broth for the red wine (same quantity for the beef broth substitution).
Watch the Recipe Video
More Beef Recipes Please!
The BEST Keto Braised Beef Recipe
- 5 pounds chuck roast cut into 2" cubes
- kosher salt + black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 ribs of celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced in half
- 3 cups red wine see Notes
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF
- Heat your dutch oven on the stove top over medium heat for 5 minutes. Pat the chuck roast dry with a paper towel and season all sides generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the ghee to the dutch oven. Working in batches so you don't overcrowd the meat, sear the beef for 3-5 minutes per side. Transfer the seared meat to a plate and continue searing all the beef.2 tablespoons ghee, 5 pounds chuck roast
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the rendered cooking fat. In the same dutch oven in the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking fat, add the carrots, celery and onion and about 2 teaspoons kosher salt and black pepper. Cooking for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the dutch oven.1 yellow onion, 2 carrots, 4 ribs of celery
- Add in the garlic and tomato paste, cooking for just 30 seconds.4 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Sprinkle on the tapioca starch, and cook for 1 minute.3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Return the seared beef to the dutch oven, and add in the red wine, mushrooms, rosemary and thyme. Stir to combine.16 ounces mushrooms, 3 cups red wine, 3 sprigs rosemary, 3 sprigs thyme
- Cover your dutch oven with its lid, and cook covered in the oven at 325ºF for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, and serve the beef over my keto mashed cauliflower and a generous ladleful of the braising liquid.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 1 week in the refrigerator, or 1 month in the freezer.