The weekend’s club action

Photo: Memories thru a lens

Here’s a quick review of the provincial club Championship action that was on this weekend. The short version – three matches, three wins for teams from the county.

Let’s start with the hurling.

Tooreen were in Connacht IHC action this afternoon at Athleague where they met London’s Robert Emmet’s to battle it out for a place in the provincial final. Quite the battle it proved to be too, one that went to extra-time after which Tooreen emerged as victors.

The final score today at Athleague, where it finished 0-30 to 1-23 in favour of the Mayo lads, was a noteworthy one. According to @GAA_Stats, the number of white flags raised in that match today, 53, equals the record for scores in a provincial club game, in either code and at any level. Lovely hurling, for sure.

Onto the football where today Ballintubber got the better of Leitrim’s Glencar Manorhamilton at MacHale Park. They won this Connacht SFC quarter-final tie by 1-11 to 0-9 and now go on to face Corofin next weekend. The Galway lads got the better of Tuam Stars at the second attempt in today’s replayed Galway final.

Conditions weren’t great for football today. I was in the rain-sodden county myself over the weekend – with, I have to admit, football was far from my mind – and I passed close to MacHale Park around half-time in the match there. The afternoon was a bleak enough one then.

It wasn’t surprising to learn that this was an error-strewn game. Ballintubber only led by a point at the break but an Alan Plunkett goal soon after the restart sent them on their way. Match report from the Irish Times is here.

The weather was considerably worse yesterday and you’d have been reluctant to show the proverbial dog the door such was the volume of rain falling when Kilmaine took on Glenamaddy in yesterday’s Connacht JFC quarter-final at Tuam Stadium.

Despite the poor conditions, though, this one proved to be a high scoring encounter. Kilmaine bagged three first half goals and they never really looked like getting caught from there, going in at the break ten points up. The Galway team made a determined fightback in the second half, though, with Kilmaine eventually holding out for a three-point win. It finished 4-8 to 2-11. Match report on that one from Connacht GAA is here.

The post The weekend’s club action appeared first on Mayo GAA Blog.


The weekend’s club action