Retrospective: Sea House Leadlights
I thought it might be interesting to review building highlights of the Sea House Leadlights studio office, from start through submission. (Can’t really say “completion” because things never stay done around here.) There are links back to original posts — if any were made — with more details. I wasn’t very bloggy
I spend a lot of pages thinking, sketching, dreaming, considering and working out dimensions and story.
The first floor idea, though fun to design, paint and assemble, did not work well in the space. So it goes.
Height was added to the starter kit with parts from a second. I like to retain recognizable elements of the kit, so the roof angle and footprint, as well as door and lower window placement remained unchanged.
I glued cold press 140 lb. watercolor paper to the walls for texture before painting, and added a whitewashed aged brick back wall in the loft.
I determined to make the front façade removable as well as the roof… makes it so much easier to do photography.
I cut the built-in benches from 1/16-inch basswood on the Cricut Maker. These were glued together and supported with 1/8-inch dividers.
I thought and sketched about the window designs for some time. The Pavilion is bubble-themed; the Conservatory celestial… for the Leadlights design studio I went Egyptian Deco. Mostly sort of.
The upper window is a stylized scarab. Very.
Anyway, the “leading” for the windows was cut from lead black cardstock, glued front and back to the plexi, then framed in black on the exterior, tree frog interior.
If one looks straight on, the window frames the whitewashed brick loft wall and the old Sea House logo. With sacred scarab wings?
I — or rather the Cricut Maker — cut the signage from matte black vinyl. The stars in the design are meant to resemble anchor plates used to reinforce old buildings. I love them.
In this bossy natural backlit photo, the solid black letters appears to float off the side of the building. It’s not quite so unnatural in person, but knocking back the discrepancy is on my list, to experiment with ways to tone the material back. Transferring wee letters and figures is a fiddly, fussy business, especially onto an uneven surface, and I don’t feel eager.
Here’s a roof’s-eye final look at the progressing build. The holes are drilled for the LED light fixtures that will illuminate the work space below. (The wiring to be concealed beneath a custom rug and other stuff stored in the loft.) A narrow shelf beneath the scarab window on the removable front façade might support batteries if I ever add lighting to the front. Floor tiles gleam softly with scuff-resistant utility. Leather window seats beckon.
To be continued…