Vegan Flaked Salmon
I’m going to show you how to make a vegan flaked “salmon” in under 20 minutes! This vegan salmon is flakey and flavourful and looks just like the texture of canned salmon! Using a delicious combination of seasonings and marinating as long as you can, as well as using shredded jackfruit for texture, you can get an amazing vegan salmon alternative to use to make the internet-famous Emily Mariko Salmon Bowl recipe or any other way you’d use flaked salmon!
If you’re looking for a copycat canned salmon recipe that’s vegan, you’re going to love this one! This recipe is also gluten-free and nut-free! Perfect for vegans and people with fish allergies!
Related Recipe: Vegan Fish Fingers Recipe
Vegan Flaked Salmon
Sometimes, my best recipes are a result of the inspiration I take from years of my own recipe development. I have seen people making Salmon Rice bowls all over the internet and I wasn’t satisfied with the vegan alternatives I was seeing people use. When I made my jackfruit tuna melt, I loved the canned tuna texture I was getting from the jackfruit, by changing up the marinade, this vegan recipe is perfect to use as flaked or canned salmon in your favourite recipes.
The star of this recipe is jackfruit. I buy young jackfruit canned in water or brine. To prepare, I run cold water over the chunks of jackfruit then cut off the hard parts and squeeze each piece in my hands to separate the fibres and the seeds. Remove and discard the seeds and let the rest of the jackfruit soak in cold water, occasionally agitating with your hands and changing the water to get a very neutral flavour, then squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the jackfruit and add it to a clean bowl, ready to use.
Related Post: Vegan Scallops in Garlic Butter Sauce
INGREDIENTS FOR FLAKED SALMON (VEGAN):
- Canned of Young Jackfruit in Water or Brine
- White Miso Paste
- Rice Vinegar
- Caper Brine
- Mushroom Seasoning (or Vegetable Bouillon)
- Beet Powder
- Flaxseed Oil
- 2-14 oz cans of young jackfruit in water or brine, drained and shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tsprice vinegar
- 1 tbsp caper brine (or sub for another tbsp of rice vinegar)
- ½ nori sheet, torn
- 1 tsp mushroom seasoning (or sub 1 cube (1 tsp) vegetable bouillon)
- ½ tsp beet powder (or sub 1 tbsp peeled fresh beet)
- 1-2 tbsp flaxseed oil (or sub olive, but flax is best for fishiness)
- To a blender add 1 cup water, miso, rice vinegar, caper brine, nori, mushrooms seasoning, and beet powder, and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Run marinade through a fine-mesh sieve, and toss with jackfruit. Allow to sit for 15 minutes minimum or up to 8. Squeeze out the liquid from the jackfruit, and toss with 1 tbsp of flax oil (or up to 2).
- Use this tuna the same way you would normal tuna! On tuna melts, in sushi bowls, poke bowls, or in viral rice dishes.
Hey I’m Candice aka The Edgy Veg – I veganize popular food recipes for vegans, plant-based diets, eco-conscious eaters & people who are trying to eat more plants over… y’know animals or their by-products. I hope you enjoy this tasty vegan recipe!
Looking For More Vegan Fish Recipes?
Made this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating & comment below. It truly helps me & I really appreciate any support! Feel free to share your food photos on social and tag me @edgyveg so I don’t miss it!