CSP Elite Baseball Development Podcast: The Evolution of the MLB Strength Coach with Brandon McDaniel
We’re excited to welcome Brandon McDaniel, the Los Angeles Dodgers Director of Athletic Development and Performance Science, to this week’s podcast. In this episode, we discuss the how the role of the MLB strength and conditioning coach has changed over the past decade, and Brandon offers suggestions to both up-and-coming players and strength and conditioning professionals.
- What Brandon’s journey was to become an MLB strength coach, and how he
has ascended to his current role with the Dodgers How Brandon’s versatility in strength training and baseball related skills impacted the progression of his career and why coaches should strive to wear multiple hats as a professional
- Why young coaches should work to be generalists and bring value to the organizations they work for by being open to opportunities and striving to understand multiple facets of their work experience
- What Brandon’s biggest areas for growth were as he progressed to be a big league strength coach
- What the biggest adjustment was that Brandon had to make as he transitioned from working in the private sector into professional baseball
- How has the role of strength and conditioning and the world of professional baseball changed in recent years
- What areas should strength coaches strive to understand outside their field of expertise
- Why coaches need to delineate between sports tech and sports science and how coaches can use information collected by technology to intervene effectively with athletes
- How Brandon integrates the implementation of technology and data alongside quality communication and a solid athlete-coach relationship to monitor workload and formulate a recipe for success with each of his athletes
- Why coaches should avoid being extremist when incorporating sports tech with their players and allow players to explore and find their sweet spot for workload and stress management
- How strength coaches can handle the challenges they face as athletes return from their off-season
- What the Dodgers are doing to make the organization a perennial playoff contender
- How the Dodgers have created consistency and continuity throughout their organization
- How Brandon and the rest of the Dodgers staff manage the demands of travel for the team throughout the year
- What wisdom Brandon always try to impart on his professional ballplayers, specifically in nutrition and strength and conditioning
- What the most impactful lesson Brandon has learned from his athletes is
For more information about the Los Angeles Dodgers Strength and Conditioning Symposium, click here.
This episode is brought to you by Marc Pro, a cutting-edge EMS device that uses patented technology to create non-fatiguing muscle activation. Muscle activation with Marc Pro facilitates each stage of the body’s natural recovery process- similar to active recovery, but without the extra effort and muscle fatigue. Athletes can use it for as long as they need to ensure a more full and quick recovery in between training or games. With its portability and ease of use, players can use Marc Pro while traveling between games or while relaxing at home. Players and trainers from every MLB team – including over 200 pro pitchers – use Marc Pro. Put Marc Pro to the test for yourself with their new “Try Before you Buy” program, and use promo code CRESSEY at checkout at www.MarcPro.com for 10% off on your order.
If you like what you hear, we’d be thrilled if you’d consider subscribing to the podcast and leaving us an iTunes review. You can do so HERE.
And, we welcome your suggestions for future guests and questions. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your continued support!
Sign-up Today for our FREE Baseball Newsletter and Receive Instant Access to a 47-minute Presentation from Eric Cressey on Individualizing the Management of Overhead Athletes!