Microsoft Power BI, including Power Pivot and Power Query, are a set of free add-ons to Excel that allow users to produce new kinds of reports and analyses that were simply impossible before.
This book, printed in full-gorgeous color, gives you an overview of Power BI, Power Pivot and Power Query, and then dives into DAX formulas, the core capability of Power Pivot. Always from the perspective of the Excel audience.
Written by the world's foremost Power BI bloggers and practitioners, the book's concepts and approach are introduced in a simple, step-by-step manner tailored to the learning style of Excel users everywhere. The techniques presented allow users to produce, in hours or even minutes, results that formerly would have taken entire teams weeks or months to produce.
This book includes lessons on:-
- difference between calculated columns and measures
- how formulas can be reused across reports of completely different shapes
- how to merge disjointed sets of data into unified reports
- how to make certain columns in a pivot behave as if the pivot were filtered while other columns do not
- how to create time-intelligent calculations in pivot tables such as "Year over Year" and "Moving Averages" whether they use a standard, fiscal, or a complete custom calendar.
- how to leverage Power Query to make your Power Pivot models awesome!
- how to use Power BI Desktop and PowerBI.com and how they fit into the Excel landscape
The "pattern-like" techniques and best practices contained in this book have been developed and refined over several years of onsite training with Excel users around the world, and the key lessons from those seminars costing thousands of dollars per day are now available to you, within the pages of this easy-to-follow guide. This updated second edition covers new features introduced with Office 2016 and Power BI Desktop.