Prince Harry and Meghan Markle now have an official termination date to put on their unemployment paperwork. According to People, as of April 1st, Meghan and Harry “will no longer hold an office at Buckingham Palace” (their BP staff has already been let go) and will be “represented by their U.K. charity foundation team” moving forward. Additionally, Meghan and Harry have until March 31st to use the discount code ROYAL when ordering people around. So while they most likely will not be able to continue using the term “royal” for their newly formed non-profit foundation Sussex Royal, they will retain the titles The Baron and Baroness Kilkeel, which I absolutely did not make up!
As previously reported, a provisional agreement was made soon after The Baron and Baroness Kilkeel (how these titles were never previously reported is beyond me!) decided to strike out on their own. At the time we were told the agreement would take effect “this spring,” which is right around the corner. It was also agreed that it was subject to “an initial 12-month review to ensure the arrangement works for all parties.” People reports:
The agreement reached between the Queen and the couple last month will be put into effect starting March 31, a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex says.
“The Duke and Duchess will be spending their time in both the United Kingdom and North America,” the spokesperson adds. “In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the U.K. and the Commonwealth throughout the year, The Duke and Duchess have also been undertaking meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organization. The details of this new organization will be shared later in the year.
“In general, the themes of their cause related work will remain unchanged, which includes the Commonwealth, community, youth empowerment and mental health, collectively.”
And while no final determination has been made, The Queen will most certainly make The Baron and Baroness of Kilkeel return all those Sussex Royals bandanas they ordered. According to The Daily Mail:
Following lengthy and complex talks, the Queen and senior officials are believed to have agreed it is no longer tenable for the couple to keep the word ‘royal’ in their ‘branding’.
Harry and Meghan have spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website to complement their hugely popular Instagram feed.
They have also sought to register Sussex Royal as a global trademark for a range of items and activities, including clothing, stationery, books and teaching materials.
In addition, they have taken steps to set up a new charitable organization: Sussex Royal, The Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
It has now been made clear that they will need to ‘re-brand’.
Not letting them use “royal” seems a little punitive at this point, but really it’s an incredible opportunity. People says they get to “retain their ‘HRH’ styles, but they will not actively use them” and “they will continue to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as well as by their titles of The Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and The Baron and Baroness Kilkeel.” Obviously they should just rebrand everything as Titles-R-Us.