In parallel to PS5 firmware update 21.01-03.00, Sony have released Firmware update 8.50 for the PS4 yesterday.
PS4 Firmware 8.50. What’s new
This update brings the following changes:
- In (Party), you can now enjoy Share Play with players on PS5.
- In (Messages), you can now turn notifications on or off for each of the groups you’re in. On the group screen, open the options menu and select [Turn Notifications Off].
- On the game session details screen, you can now use the [Request to Join] button to ask the session leader to join their game session. The session leader can then send you an invite to join the game session.
- When playing a game you’ve hidden, other players will no longer see that you’re currently playing that game.
- We’ve updated the file format for extended storage.
- When you connect an extended storage device, its file format will be updated.
- After that, you won’t be able to use the device on a PS4 that has a previous version of the system software.
- (Communities) is no longer available.
PS4 8.50 Jailbreak – Should I update?
As always, people who have a hackable PS4, or hope for their PS4 to become hackable in the near future, should not update. To be clear, there is no hint at a possible 8.xx Jailbreak at this point (although hackers may have found a lead recently), and it could take months before any Jailbreak is made available for 8.50 owners.
The latest PS4 Jailbreak works on firmware 7.55 and below, so 8.xx owners have no solution available at the moment. Nonetheless, staying on as low a firmware as you possibly can is always the best choice if you’re hoping to hack your PS4 eventually.
Don’t hesitate to check our PS4 Jailbreak page to stay up to date.