You often need to extend the selection to the parent context. For instance, if your cursor is in a string, you can select the whole string in a single shortcut.
Press Alt+Shift+= to extend the selection and Alt+Shift+- reduce the selection:
You can also select the containing block using ALT+SHIFT+]
This post is part of the series 'Visual Studio Tips and Tricks'. Be sure to check out the rest of the blog posts of the series!
- View and edit the Tab Order of Windows Forms Controls
- Comparing files using Visual Studio
- Visual Studio Tips and tricks: Clipboard history
- Visual Studio Tips and tricks: Open recently closed files
- Visual Studio Tips and tricks: Multi-line and multi-cursor editing
- Visual Studio Tips and tricks: Extend/Reduce selection (this post)